Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Applying Heat to Natural Hair.

A big concern for women who are transitioning to natural hair is can they straighten their hair without damaging it. Applying heat to your hair in general too often is not the best idea, and it can definitely damage your hair; but just because you have natural hair that does not mean you should not be able to wear your hair straight either. As of right now I do have my hair straight, I got my ends cut, got a blow out and straightened my hair. I do not have pictures right now sorry..but anyways I do not do it often but sometimes its good to do it. Before applying all this heat I thoroughly washed and conditioned my hair and put some nice oils to protect my hair for the what was coming. I'm going to tell you a few ways to reduce the amount of heat that you use on your hair, or damage.

1.  Wash and condition your hair, but do a deep conditioner on your hair. Deep conditioners have proteins in it that strengthen and protect your hair.
2. With a deep conditioner you have use heat, such as sitting under a hair dryer, this will make the conditioner penetrate into your scalp.
3. If you do not want to blow dry your hair before straightening you can air dry your hair, but comb your hair out and put them into sections so the process of straightening will be easier.
4. Before applying any heat whether is be the blow dryer or the flat iron apply a heat protector hair product on your hair to reduce and damage that can be done to the hair.
5. When using the flat iron try to stick too 350 degrees so the heat is not too much on your hair, sometimes you have to go above that because some hair maybe a little harder to work with that is fine.
6. Personally so I do not have to continuously straighten my hair every day I wrap it every night, when I wake up I comb the wrap out and my hair falls right into place; daily oils are put in my hair and I keep it moving. Sometimes I have to apply a little bit of heat to certain areas just to fix it up but other than that I do not.
7. Every 2-3 weeks is acceptable to go from your curly hair styles, to twists, buns, and then to straight hair. Alternating between these hair styles is just better for your hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment